- bioMérieux recognizes that the environmental impact of a product throughout its life cycle is, for the most part, determined during the design phase. On this basis, the company has implemented an "eco-design" working group to set out recommendations for formally integrating the environmental aspects of product life cycle in the development process.
- The company is applying this eco-design approach to the development of products currently underway. As an example, the design of the new VIDAS® 3 takes into account:
- the choice of low-energy consumption components,
- the definition of control processes to reduce energy needs,
- the choice of more environmentally friendly materials for instrument casing and packaging,
- the reduction of the number of paper printouts, through:
- condensed printing formats,
- the optimization of print data,
- user-friendly software that facilitates access to on-screen information.
bioMérieux seeks to minimize the impact of its products on the environment by taking action from the outset, starting with the design phase.