Designed by a microbiologist for microbiologists, PREVI® Isola is a revolutionary automated agar plate inoculation system
This plate inoculator maximizes and standardizes bacterial colony isolation.
- High quality streaking with superior colony isolation
- High throughput with 180 plates per hour
- Significant productivity gains through improved workflow
- Compact design fits easily in any lab
Many labs today still use time-consuming manual methods during the pre-analytical phase of microbiology. PREVI® Isola, a compact automated pre-poured media (PPM) streaker, has a small footprint but makes a big impact in your lab. With its throughput of 180 plates/hour and you get fast, high quality streaking with more isolated colonies per plate than with manual methods. A patented robotic system standardizes inoculum quantity and improves workflow by managing the major steps in processing liquid microbiology specimen samples. Inoculation, streaking and labelling – it’s done for you.
High quality streaking
With PREVI® Isola, you get superior quality inoculation compared to traditional streaking. In fact, an evaluation for the American Society of Microbiology found a 21%1 increase of isolated colonies compared to manual streaking. Another evaluation, published in the Journal of Clinical Microbiology found an increase of 32%2!
- Clear, easy-to-read results:
- Technicians save valuable reading time
- Less need for subculture
- Standardized plate inoculation with patented PREVI® Isola applicator:
- Optimized colony isolation
- Eliminates risk of cross-contamination
- Decrease need for re-streaking
- Can use chromID® chromogenic media:
- Direct, easy-to-read identification
- Use bi-plates for smart association of two relevant media
- ASM 2009. Evaluation of bioMérieux’s PREVI Isola , an Automated Microbiology Specimen Processor : improving efficiency and Quality of results by Frankie Rice , A Baruch, microbiology department et al ; Spartanburg Regional Healthcare , Spartanburg SC .
- JCM 2008 . Evaluation of an Automated Instrument for Inoculating and Spreading Samples onto Agar Plates , by J. H. Glasson,L. H. Guthrie, D. J. Nielsen,1 and F. A. Bethell Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, South Australia and LabTech Systems Ltd., Kent Town, South Australia
Standardize & maximize inoculation
At the heart of PREVI® Isola, there’s a simple device that will change the way you think about inoculation and laboratory workflow. It’s an original, revolutionary Applicator that uses high precision technology to standardize and maximize colony inoculation:
- Maximum agar surface inoculated
- Optimum, pressure-controlled contact with the agar while inoculating
- Standard quantity of inoculum used every time
Smooth workflow & cost savings
PREVI® Isola’s compact size means it fits easily into any lab – yet it offers significant improvements to workflow. Its patented robotic system manages the major steps required to process liquid microbiology specimen samples, covering inoculation, streaking and labelling. It gives you more isolated colonies per plate than manual methods, results are clear and easy to read and there’s less need for subculture. And more efficient workflow means cost-savings too:
- Less plates to use due to increased isolated colonies
- Less need to re-isolate saves both costs and time
- 180 plates per hour: free up technician time, save costs
- Boost time and cost savings even further by integrating with Full Microbiology Lab Automation
- Possible to connect with Myla™ middleware for even faster connectivity and information management
|Throughput for 90 mm plates||180 PPM/h|
|Streaking pattern||Tip + Applicator (agar side up)|
|Volume for streaking||10 µl|
|Ensure no cross contamination||Sterile applicator|
|Consumables||Tip + Applicator + Label + Waste|
|Input for media||5 Input Cassettes (min. 150 PPM)|
|Continuous loading PPM||Yes|
|Output for media||3 Output Cassettes (min. 90 PPM)|
|Sorting by atmosphere||Yes|
|Samples capacity||Up to 114 samples|
|Continuous unloading PPM||Yes|
|Traceability for consumbales/PPM||Yes/Yes|
|HEPA Filter||Yes, one|
|Remote access||Yes, ViLink|
|Dimensions (surface required to run & maintain the system)||W 144 cm x D 90.7 cm x H 168 cm (1.306 m2 required)|
Please contact your local bioMérieux representative for product availability.
Evaluation of bioMérieux’s PREVI Isola , an Automated Microbiology Specimen Processor : improving efficiency and Quality of results
Frankie Rice , A Baruch, microbiology department et al ; Spartanburg Regional Healthcare , Spartanburg SC .
Evaluation of an Automated Instrument for Inoculating and Spreading Samples onto Agar Plates
J. H. Glasson, L. H. Guthrie, D. J. Nielsen,1 and F. A. Bethell. Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide, South Australia and LabTech Systems Ltd., Kent Town, South Australia
Manual versus automated plate streaking of stool samples: a comparative evaluation using PREVI Isola®
S. Zimmermann, M. Trampe. Dept. of Infectious Diseases, Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, University of Heidelberg, Germany
ASM 2012 Poster P-733
Solutions for implementation of the automated PREVI Isola plating instrument in the clinical laboratory
K.C Chapin 1,2, S.B Andrea(1), M.Andrade(1), and L.A Tellier(1)
(1) Department of pathology, Rhode Island hospital, Providence, RI, (2) the Brown Alpert Medical School, Providence RI.
Many customers worldwide have already joined the growing ranks of PREVI™ Isola users. They have been won over by the superior inoculation of this automated streaking method in comparison with the traditional method. Share a few of their impressions on this amazing instrument.
“ PREVI Isola has provided our lab with a better and consistent quality of plate streaking. For stool samples we have noticed an increased number of isolated colonies and for those often tricky urine specimens we report results faster.
Because PREVI Isola saves us time our daily workload is smoother, and we have a wider time slot that we can use any time in the day.
My lab staff has also been quick to adopt the instrument as they can physically see the benefits for themselves. I can safely say that introducing PREVI Isola to our lab has certainly been worth while. ”Dr Stefan Zimmermann, Assistant Medical Director, Department of Infectious Diseases, Medical Microbiology and Hygiene, Heidelberg - Germany
It has given us more time to focus on other daily tasks and manage our daily microbiology workload. In fact, it's just like having another technologist in our lab. ”Dr Franca Benini and her laboratory team,Unico Area Vasta Romagna Laboratory, Pievestina di Cesena - Italy
Since introducing PREVI Isola into your lab what have been the 3 main benefits to your lab?
“ I would safely say that we have :
- Gained in technical time
- Improved the quality of colonies isolated colonies
- Standardized the procedure while improving traceability
It’s just impossible for me to even think of going back to the “before PREVI Isola” way of working.
The gain in productivity can be seen in having 1.5 FTE doing something else while being able to increase our activity by 15% without having to take anyone else onboard – we’re talking of a total productivity gain of 20 – 25%!
There is also less re-plating to do and a noticeable decrease in the level of susceptibility test contamination. We systematically keep to the GBEA for automated plate inoculation and can automatically trace the plates inoculated.
Lab technicians have also been able to save on time and spend it doing other more interesting specimen tasks and working on quality procedures.
With less plate inoculation to do, what work or career opportunities were you able to develop to motivate your technologists?
As lab manager, I have been able to develop the molecular biology sector and can now perform other types of analyses like viral load.
I have also fully implicated my lab staff in the quality procedures (method validation, drafting up quality procedures and controls…)
From a lab technician point of view, with the time saved since the introduction of PREVI Isola, what other valuable lab skills do you think they will be developing?
They have been able to spend more time on difficult specimen collections and their manual inoculation.
They have also been able to take on additional analysis work with the same lab team and go as far as better catering for late specimens arrivals which previously had often been problematic. And incredibly all this extra work but with less stress!
With PREVI Isola freeing up their afternoons from inoculating they have been able to develop our hygiene security measures, spend more time reading and interpreting direct examinations and work more on the standard 15189. ”Dr Gueudet, Schuh Laboratory, Strasbourg - France